TAP2 - Illinois Concealed Carry Course
This is an intense, 17 hour basic personal protection course. This course provides the students with hands-on training to ensure he or she becomes competent with efficiently handling the firearm in a safe and effective manner. The course will also cover the “rules of engagement” for the armed law-abiding private citizens.
Teaching points include:
- Gun handling and range safety
- Equipment selection and carry
- Avoidance & disengagement techniques
- Levels of force
- Sight alignment and trigger control
- Drawing from a holster
- Legal aspects of shooting in self-defense
- Cover & concealment
- Human thought process
- Shot placement – speed & accuracy
- Flashlight techniques
- Life choices
- Proper maintenance
- Safe storage
Upon satisfactorily completing the class, the student will receive an "Illinois State Police Concealed Carry Firearms Training Certificate", an NRA Basic Pistol Certificate, and a Double Tap Academy "Certificate of Handgun Training" required by the State of Florida and Arizona as part of your application for your handgun carry permit.
Prerequisites: Familiarity with a defensive handgun. This course is perfect for newer shooters as well as advanced shooters.
Course includes: Certificate, workbook, classroom time, range time, and testing.
Course equipment list - to be provided by the student:
- Quality defensive pistol– suitable for self-defense and/or concealed carry. You will be firing approximately 300 rounds of ammunition during this class, so small framed or ultra-lightweight firearms are not a good choice for this class. If you have any questions, please contact us before the course. It is also a good idea to bring a spare gun, if you have one, in case your primary gun breaks.
- A quality retention style holster – You need a strong-side, belt or inside the waistband holster. For safety reasons, cross draw holsters, fanny packs, shoulder holsters, and generic-fitted nylon holsters are not good for this course. For safety reasons, Serpa-style holsters are highly discouraged. Again, if you have questions, please contact us.
- A minimum of 3 magazines or speed loaders for your handgun.
- A magazine pouch/ holder for at least 2 of your spare magazines or speed loaders.
- A sturdy belt, to support the holster, handgun, magazine pouch, and spare magazines.
- Hearing and ear protection.
- Billed cap or other brimmed headwear.
- Minimum of 250 rounds of decent quality, reliable ammunition. Range ammunition (FMJ, etc.) is fine.
- Jacket or vest to be used for drawing from concealment
- Clothing suitable for the weather and the range. If necessary, we will finish our range work in whatever conditions exist at class time, live-fire exercises will run rain or shine.
- Note taking materials. You will need to take LOTS of notes. We will explain why during class. If you wish to use a laptop computer, that is OK. No audio/video recording is allowed.
- A flashlight. Although no night shooting occurs, we will practice using a flashlight.
- Food for meals each day.
Please note: the above list is just the essentials. You may bring additional items (such as range bags, extra magazines, additional ammunition, etc.), if you choose.
Attendees, please fill out this Application and email it to [email protected]